Monday, August 3, 2009

Project Update 8/2

One of the things I was excited about when choosing Mobisitegalore to build my mobile site was the fact that it allowed you to build and edit your site from your phone. I didn't have a chance to try it until last night, when I was sucked away to a family dinner I didn't want to attend. I thought I could tuck myself away into a corner and do some editing.

I was disappointed to realized that the build and edit functions are limited when you are doing it from your phone. If you know xhtml, you'll be golden, but if you're like me, not so much. The first snafu was the fact that you can't create subpages, only main pages that appear from your homepage. You can rearrange pages, but you can't make a main page become a subpage. Also, you can edit text, but it is within html tags. A big warning appears telling you not to touch the tags unless you know what you are doing. This is obviously there for people like me, who tend to think they can figure out the code and screw around with it to adjust things.

Since I was fairly comfortable editing the text within the tags, but not comfortable enough to make new text withing NEW tags, there wasn't much I could do from my phone. I had to participate in the family gathering.

The edit from your phone option is useful if you know code, and I can envision someone using it to make some quick updates that are time sensitive. However, for the novice, it's not as useful; nor does it seem to be useful for making large changes.

0 comments:

  © Free Blogger Templates Blogger Theme II by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP